Chalk Couture has so many great options to create unique projects with individual letter stencils / transfers and small stencil numbers. These 2 inch letter stencils font set allows you to personalize any project. I’m not going to lie. It can be a little intimidating to work with individual letter stencils. I’m going to share a few tricks on how to stencil with individual letters, get the letter craft stencils lined up and how to space stencil letters evenly.
I had a custom order request to create a project with the name and date of a wedding. I’ll share pictures of the project but I’m not going to share the full project to protect the names of the wedding party.
Full Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. For more info, see the Disclaimer Policy
Chalk Couture Stencil Supplies
- Placement Tape
- Chalk Paste
- Small Squeegee
- Letter Stencil Font Set – silk screen transfer / stencil. For this project, I used the letter and number stencil kits Handwritten Font 2 inch letter stencil which gave it a Rae Dunn look.
- Surface of Choice
- Fuzzing Cloth – This helps dry the transfer / stencils in between uses.
The biggest tip is Chalk Couture placement tape is your friend. I highly recommend the tape from Chalk Couture. I used some tape I purchased at Dollar Tree. It didn’t work because it was too waxy for the chalk paste to stay on. It came right up and didn’t leave the mark I needed. ( I’ll talk about the mark in a second. )
How To Stencil With Individual Letters
Okay, Now let’s walk through some tips to start your project the Chalk Couture recommended way.
- Prep your surface for the chalk paste. I used a mirror so it just needed to be cleaned well.
- Cut each letter and number stencil out of the font stencil set so you can mix and match them to make words.
- Practice run…Figure out the layout for the words. Will it be on several lines or just one? Start off making the word by grouping the transfers together to see how much space they will take up. This is just to test. No Chalk Paste!
- How to space stencil letters evenly? – 1/2 Circle Marker Points – Now, let’s talk about the how to space stencil letters evenly. Lay 2 rows of placement tape down in a straight line. One at the top of the letter and one at the bottom. Do you see the ½ circle marker points at the top and bottom of the stencil fonts? That’s the second item you will use to align the fonts. The 1/2 circles leave a mark so it can be matched up with the next stencil font. “Aww… yes, Chalk Couture did think of everything.” Thankfully, we have in-house designers who actually use our products so they make it easy for everyone. 😉 Back to the subject at hand. The goal is to place the tape under the ½ circle markers. The placement tape helps to easily A) align your letters and B) remove the “circle marks”.
- Center the middle stencil letter and work your way out on both sides. With each letter simply line up the ½ circle mark from the previous letter.
- Use the fuzzing cloth to help dry the letter stencils in between uses and washes. Confession time, I did this project with three broken fingers and it was a challenge. I didn’t factor that in when I said “yes”, to the project. haha.. Since these are reusable adhesive stencils, I wanted each font to dry well before I added the next. I would add a font, wash the stencil with water, dry it with the fuzzing cloth, and do the next letter. Use the non-fuzzy side of the cloth to help dry the Chalk Couture stencil / transfers faster. You can also wash each font with just a Lysol wipe.
- Once you have completed your word, simply remove the placement tape and the stenciled letters should line up.
Now, you can always just eyeball without using the ½ circle marks as I did with the number stencils. I did use the placement tape and eyeballed the spacing for the stenciled numbers. Both ways work so play around with it and have fun.
Chalk Couture letter stencils are a great tool when you need to create a personalized DIY craft gift for a birthday celebration, wedding, etc. Once you get the hang of it you’ll enjoy how the craft project turns out!
I hope this gives you a great start to your project. I would love to see your design over on my Facebook page! Just drop a picture in one of the posts.
Shop Chalk Couture Letter Stencils
Oh! Make sure to pin this for later!! And follow me for more DIY inspiration!!
- Butterfly Stencils
- Is Chalk Couture a new company?
- How to use Chalk Couture on a wooden surface?
- Create A Welcome Sign For Front Porch Decor